Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You're thinking two dimensionally, Kevin. Now think three dimensionally and reevaluate your example considering the total "volume" of effect along the entire path of the bullet. Big difference in the volume of disruption between an expanded .355 caliber bullet and an expanded .45 caliber bullet, assuming about the same depth of penetration.

No I get you there, and certainly you�re right; again, on paper. As to volume of tissue destroyed, there�s a big difference on paper. But that�s the problem, we�re looking at mathematical figures on paper, not a living breathing being. Unless you hit a vital area, you can remove HUGE volumes of tissue and not create incapacitation. Three dimensionally speaking, the only area that really matters is the vital organ. Let�s take the heart for example. All the tissue destroyed before and after the heart are basically inconsequential, unless by some miracle you manage to take out the spine also. And let�s say you just hit a lung, and there�s a lot of lung space with absolutely nothing vital in front of or behind. In that instance the difference in diameter makes a difference, you destroy more lung. But it a .15 difference in bullet size enough to make any difference in how long the person stays up? We�ve all seen deer hit with guns of vastly greater power than a handgun, and they trot off and die about 30-45 seconds later if they�re hit well; very few bang-flops. Hit them in the lung, and they go quite a bit farther.

From a 3 dimensional standpoint, the only thing you gain is slightly more destruction of small, non-critical veins and arteries which greatly complicates surgery; but doesn�t significantly add to incapacitation.

I guess the difference is when I talk, I talk as one who has been around a lot of shooting victims. My opinions come from real world scenarios (and I don�t say that to minimize your opinion at all � mine is just an OPINION; not necessarily fact), and I�ve see so many people shot with handgun cartridges. I�ve also observed trauma surgery, and autopsies, and I have drawn some big conclusions from that. Further, I�ve done ballistics gelatin testing and the difference in wound size between 9mm, .40, & .45 (even 3 dimensionally) really aren�t as much as you would think. My conclusions are; don�t expect your handgun to put a guy down with one round. Almost every patient I�ve had that was shot in the torso with one shot, had fight left in him when I arrived. Some died, but most lived. On the other hand, when people had been shot multiple times, it was rare they still had a pulse when I arrived, and I can�t remember any that had any fight left in them when I arrived. And it really didn�t matter what the cartridge or load was.

One shot, perhaps bullet and caliber could make a difference (I remain unconvinced). Multiple shots, it just doesn�t matter which cartridge and load. I�m talking real world, out on the street here; not gelatin and mathematical figures on a piece of paper.