I have, over the years, went through swings in what I feel is the best gun for me. I started out as a 1911 fan, and still am. I do not feel, however, that the 1911 is the optimum platform. They are expensive, harder (not hard) to maintain, and have limited capacity.

I have settled on the M&P 9mm. With modern bullet technology, there is not enough difference in terminal performance between the major defensive calibers to warrant argument. They all work, and they all work well. With a 9mm, you gain capacity, reduced cost in ammunition, and an easier to shoot gun.

In my opinion, the optimum defensive pistol today is a medium frame, polymer, high capacity 9mm, such as the Glock 19 or M&P 9. I carry the M&P9 Pro, but I have uniformed daily carry to contend with. I like the way the 5" Pro shoots, and I have long since overcome my phobia toward the 9mm.

That being said, I dont fault anyone for carrying a 1911, as long as it is a quality piece, such as yours. They are no less lethal than they were when designed. The only thing that has changed since its introduction is that other, more viable platforms have arrived. The very fact that just about every defensive gun is compared to the 1911 is testament to its abilities.

The only caliber I do not care for is the .40 S&W. Truly, and answer to an unasked question.