Originally Posted by MontanaMan

All things being equal, I want the threat as far away from me as possible as I believe my shooting expertise is better than most "on the street" threats is likely to be, & the 45 ACP is an adequate round & the 1911 is an adequate platform at ranges from 30 to 50 yards or so..........I've shot lots of matches at 50 yards.
Interesting that you should say that. NH K9 commented once that he always developed a plan to kill everyone in the room in any given instance. Not as diabolical as it seems. He simply meant that he works out scenarios to deal with a situation of one or more of the people near him suddenly going homicidal. I admitted I too habitually work out such scenarios.

While at the outdoor range a couple of weeks ago, I found myself there at the rifle range with one other guy I didn't know (I'm usually alone on the entire property of this private, locked gate, gun club). He was shooting a Beretta Storm, a handgun caliber security carbine. I was sighting in my hunting rifle. I went up to check my targets and he stayed behind. It occurred to me that should he go homicidal on me (highly unlikely, but I believe in the Boy Scout motto), at the range we were distance from each other, I'd be at a gigantic disadvantage, only carrying on me a Kahr P-9, and that if I were carrying a standard weight Government Model, the odds would be a good ways closer. That mental exercise habit has a tendency to "keep one honest" in one's handgun choices.