Originally Posted by gmoats
.....Jim's experiences seem to be polar opposites of those related by Doc.... you'll ALWAYS be able to find some example to prove any point that you desire to make.

gmoats, just to clarify... the examples I posted were not intended as the norm in shooting scenarios, in fact if we did a statistical analysis they'd all be more than two standard deviations outside of the mean, whereas shootings resolved with only one shot would be well inside two standard deviations.

I brought them up solely to prove the point that if you plan only for the statistically most likely scenario, you may find yourself SOL when the flag goes up.

Let's face it: the chance that any civilian is going to need to fire his pistol to protect his/her life is infinitesimal. At that point, you're already so far outside the realms of statistical probability you have to expect other aspects of the scenario are also going to fall outside the realms of likelihood. As such, carrying adequate amounts of spare ammo is a wise hedge against an improbable bet.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars