Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
... but stats indicate that in the vast majority of cases, even old ladies armed with a handgun, only knowing the basic functions of their weapon, can effectively neutralize criminal confrontation.

Most of the time they can, which is why I am such a strong proponent of the 2A and lawful concealed carry of firearms. Any potential crime victim is better off having a gun than not having a gun. CCW laws that require training are, in my view, wrong-headed. People who can't and won't train still have the right to defend themselves. They may not be very good at exercising that right when the SHTF, but that right is inalienable.

But luck is still a huge part of the equation in a deadly force situation, and the only thing you can do to reduce its effect is to train. FWIW, Massad Ayoob's basic class (used to be called LFI-1, it's now called MAG-20) is 90% cerebral training, although his basic shooting system (Stressfire) is a very good system for people new to the use of the handgun. Training your mind is more important than training with your firearm, but training with your firearm is by no means unimportant.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars