Originally Posted by gmoats
David killed Goliath with a sling--sure enough someone, somewhere is going to argue the lethality of rocks as major caliber ammunition.
This is where critical thinking needs to intervene. It's incumbent upon ALL who choose to arm themselves with a firearm to apply such critical thinking and decide how best to employ said weapon.

Quite the contrary from Take_A_Knee�s advice of training with a similar weapons (systems), which is pretty sound advice; that didn�t fit MY situation.

When I was doing bodyguard work, often I would somewhat unexpectedly find myself going somewhere that required me to leave my gun behind (un-planned trip on an aircraft), and have to use what someone gave me when I arrived at my destination. I�ve been armed with a wide array of handguns and a few times, rifles or shotguns.

Therefore, my training regimen was to train with every different gun I could get my hands on. Often I�d have people just randomly place a gun in front of me while I was blind folded and I would figure out the manual of arms by feel, typically in less than about 5 seconds. The relevance was that I familiarized myself with all systems so when someone handed me a gun, I could quietly walk away, and do a few dry snaps, function check the weapon, and get my brain tuned to what I was carrying. It can be done, but you have to keep your brain in the game.

This was the application of MY critical thinking; but I strongly doubt my experience is right for everyone else. I have confidence that I can make any handgun perform in my hands and that�s a nice thing. But it doesn�t mean diddly-squat to others; only me. My critical thinking had me do what was right for ME.

Each must go through this same process, but I expect each person will arrive at a very different solution than I did.