I have carried a handgun for most of my adult life and always made sure I was proficient in its use, both as a Peace Officer, member of the military and now a retired old fart! I will always be armed till the time comes when I am no longer able or competent to do so.

I am to the stage in life where all I carry anymore is "get off me" type guns. The ability to be completely concealed while still readily available for instant use is my main criteria. This is last ditch stuff for me, the FINAL OPTION as it were.

NO handgun is a perfect 1 shot stopper as in totally incapacitated, that is the function of the shootee. Some people will fall down damn near dead and wail like a banshee if hit with a .22 rf. Others will absorb a massive amount of big slugs and keep on coming, then there is the whole drug thing.

I will avoid any confrontation like the plague if at all even remotely possible. I do NOT go to areas that are likely to put me in a bad situation willingly. If cornered I WILL EMPTY whatever I am carrying into the aggressor/aggressors and still be ready to fight for my life tooth & nail or di di mau if I can.

If I KNEW a gunfight was coming I would have a center fire repeating rifle and cover!

I really think that the whole SD with a handgun thing is all over the place and it comes down to where you are, situational awareness, mindset and common sense, caliber and platform is secondary to the proceeding IMHO.

As has been said many times on these pages: "Any gun when you need a gun is better than no gun."

It also beats hell out of harsh words.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me