well, that's how this conversations start. Ours started at with a bunch of us guys out to dinner at restaurant. One guys ask what's a good cheap 1911, like $500 or under range to be used as self-defense.

I'd recommend, moving the budget up a little for 1911 that you're going to depend your life.

Glock fan sitting next to me, states Glocks are more reliable. Guy two seats down said, he bought 45acp highpoint for $206 out the door at the gunshow we just came from. He's thought was why spend twice as much to get a $500 glock when his gun is just as good. The glock guys thinks why spend twice as much to get a 1911 when his glock is just as good at half the price.

See how things quickly spiral out of control?

Then of course, you got the complaint that 1911's are heavy and limited capacity.

Then that today's 9mm are just as good as a 45acp so why not get the higher capacity, etc.

The poor guy who asked the original question regarding 1911's, now got his head spinning with glocks, xd's, m&P, shields. Added to change caliber from 45acp to 9mm or possible 40s&w as best of both, lol! He was total confused by time he left.

I like 1911's. I want to stick with them but want to know what their "weakness" are so as to be an informed end-user. That goes for every platform/style of gun one uses, be it a glock, etc.

I also planned to reload/handload for my 1911. There's something about a 1911 when you pick one up and I like them. Are they perfect and without weakness or limitations, I don't think so but not many things are.

So far, the ligitmate complaints are to check extractor and firing pin stop and 1911's seem sensitive to magazines.

So I'm looking more to be educated regarding the intricacies and usage of the 1911's. I don't mind spending the time learning this but need to know where and what to look for.

I did buy two books on 1911 to read as well so I think I'm fairly serious about whating to learn the 1911. They're are some supercrak guys here on the 'campfire who are a wealth of information on 1911.

I will also look for a good 1911 pistol smith here in Indianpolis as well.