The "1911" isn't "a" gun, it's a genre, a platform, a model as opposed to "striker-fired" or "single action revolvers" or "da/sa autloaders" etc. If you add up all of the 1911's sold in the world in a year, they wouldn't equal the # of Glock 19's sold in one year, IF you add LEO sales. At least so says one of the VP's of Glock that hunts with my son in law---#'s which are obviously suspect, but I'm guessing fairly accurate. We were invited to the Glock party at the SHOT show last year (the biggest party at the show, with thousands in attendance)---they were celebrating another banner year--I've forgotten what the number of total guns sold for the year was, but it was staggering. Again, not objective figures, but certainly agrees with what three different friends of mine on the retail side of the gun counter say--the Glock 19 is the best selling sku on the shelf---and they're not big shooters, just see a lot of guns come and go.

Again, the whole argument is kinda moot---LEO and military sales aren't a representation of popularity, and certainly gun broker #'s are only telling you what owners are parting with---i.e. no one in their right mind would suggest that the Python is the best selling or most popular handgun in America.

FWIW, the late, great Louie Awerbuck (from South Africa and one of Cooper's early and ablest instructors) was possibly the finest been-there-done-that trainer of true street-fighting-down-and-dirty-no-nonsense-gee-whiz-tactics, carried a high-capacity-framed 1911 and instead of a spare magazine, he carried a Glock 19 for a "New York reload." Perhaps there's virtue in each, huh?

BTW, MaryAnne has aged far better than Ginger!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.