Funny thing is well over half of the people who decide to argue this on any given day really have no experience, but they still love to give opinions either way. Glocks work, guess what so do 1911s. There was a time, long ago, that the 1911 had some problems. That really doesnt exist anymore. Those that claim the 1911 is a poor defensive gun do not have experience with the platform. I have owned just about every kind of handgun in one way shape or form. I've spent from $150 to $4k. I've had one glock have problems that was easily fixed with a replacement extractor. I had only 1 1911 have issues and it was with a kimber supermatch. Kimber completely fixed the issue for free so no complaints there. It really boils down to which you prefer. I have countless thousands of rounds through both 1911s and glocks. I carry a glock most of the time. They both work and I would trust mine and my families life to either platform. Find one that feels right, buy it and shoot the hell out of it. Not that hard really. And to the op's original question, the 1911 doesnt have any weaknesses these days.

Last edited by gunchamp; 03/17/15.