Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by RJM

As to general feeding reliability haven't had any major problems with any of my guns. There are some bullet designs that cause feeding problems in some guns but once you find a load that a 1911 likes it is no more or less reliable than a Glock...

Bob
There's the problem with 1911's right there.
It's those little problems that drive you crazy and you have to spend too much time and money to find out what the gun likes.

I have double digit numbers of 1911's (& 5 Glocks too wink ) & with the exception of the latest addition, (an off-the-shelf, untuned, untouched Ruger which has not been shot enough to demonstrate it's nature) every single last one of them shoots whatever is put into the magazines, any day, every day, all day, assuming it's a load that is strong enough to function the particular setup on that gun.

No ifs, no ands, no buts.

I'm not interested in whether the gun(s) will run 5,000 rounds between cleanings........If any of them are used in a gunfight, the round count might reach double digits, maybe. If it does, I'm going to be wishing for some kind of a long gun.

So if a 1911, (or any other carry gun) can make 100 straight rounds without a hiccup, each & every time its used, it's more than adequate for SD & carrying.

There's a difference between reliability & torture test durability between cleanings.

My 1911's that expect to get carried & potentially get used in any serious social intercourse function are kept clean.......& the ones that aren't 1911's are also kept clean.

But clean is a also a relative word.............all but super, super tight match fitted 1911's will still run with some level of contamination or dirt; granted a Glock will likely tolerate more in an absolute sense. If that spins your prop, don't talk about 1911's; just go get a Glock & live happily ever after, as you likely would not be happy with a 1911 anyway.

So, a PROPERLY built & tuned 1911 doesn't really have any "weaknesses" in that sense but lots of folks with limited experience like to discuss those "weaknesses" anyway.

My guns & their capabilities may not be representative of everyman's 1911's but they demonstrate what a 1911 is capable of being & that's all I really care about. What happens to JackSchitt with his Trimber crappily built, untuned 1911 in bumfuckedEgypt doesn't concern me or alter my thinking one IOTA.

As for the magazine capacity, a 1911 will always have more that a revolver. smile

MM
If anyone had any sense at all, the whole discussion would have ended here. Well done sir.