Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by whelennut
I can only think of one weakness in the design of a 1911 pistol.
If you push the pistol until the end of the barrel contacts something it will unlock the pistol and it will not fire.

As will any semi-auto with a proper disconnector.

FWIW, this can be overcome by holding your thumb against the back of the slide enough to keep it in battery. It obviously won't cycle for the second shot, but if one shot can help you create distance off a bad guy you can clear the malfunction and keep working.

An exposed hammer would complicate this, so that seems like a pretty objective potential weakness of the 1911s exposed hammer......In a scenario that has 1/1,000,000,000 chances of happening.

Blue...I hope you are kidding...you apparently have never done it..which thumb you going to use, the one wrapped around the gun in a death grip or do you let go of the guys throat with your other hand...

As to the 1/1,000,000,000 chance of it happening...you loose...

In about 1983 I was with Dallas PD and also had my own gun shop and commercial reloading business. I took a Colt Series Gold Cup in on trade and a very close friend and fellow officer bought it. There was one "problem". When the slide was retracted just slightly the collet bushing would not let the slide go back into battery. It ran 100% but because of the bushing it would not go back into battery if just pressed open.

I sold the gun to my friend with the instructions "Before you qualify and carry this GET THE BUSHING CHANGED"!!!!! Well a few weeks go by and he comes over with a "story"... Seems he arrived first at the scene of a violent domestic where it was not prudent to wait for cover. The husband had a gun and fortunately my friend was a life time martial arts practitioner. My friend pins the guy up against the wall and was holding the guys right arm with the gun against the wall with his left hand. He then pulled the 1911, stuck it into the guys gut and pulled the trigger...nothing happened... Realizing that he had tripped the disconnect, he pulled the gun back and pulled the trigger again...nothing...

My friend then stuck the gun in his belt just as the guys wife, who the guy was trying to kill, jumped on my friends back. He grabbed the wife by the collar and put her head through the sheetrock wall. He then palm slammed the guy in the face several times until he dropped the gun...about the time cover came through the door...

Or...picture yourself nose to nose with a guy you have pinned up against a wall. You have his gun hand pinned up against the wall and your gun is under his chin...which thumb you going to use to push the slide into battery... This was me two days before I left DPD...and fortunately the gun I had under his chin was a 3" Model 24.

Been there done that...it don't work...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....