Originally Posted by Savuti
I have a strong impression that this chasm twixt the 1911 likers and the GlockSigM&PEtc camp falls along generational lines, with the 1911 folks likely in the 50+ year old category while the other group is more likely 40 or under.

It is logical for all of us to be more enamored of whichever platform we first learned "serious" shooting technique with, be that military or LE training or private attendance at Chapman's, Gunsite, TR etc.

Since my first exposure to the modern technique was a 40 hour Intermediate Pistol course as taught by Ray C. in 1980, I fall into the over 50/1911 camp.
I currently have 7 1911s, all 45s.
But I also own (or have owned) G17, G19x2, G20, G21x2, G23, G26, G30, and G36 along with a handful of SIGs and one M&P 45.

My daily carry rotation includes 2 of the 1911s, Kimber Ultra CDP and DW CCO. None of the Glocks are in my rotation because I'm simply not comfortable carrying one in Condition 1, and if I'm carrying a piece it's going to be in Con 1.

So, that's me, perfectly happy with a cocked & locked 1911 on my hip, but not with a cocked and unlocked G whatever.

PS-The local Sheriff's dept requires deputies to buy their own sidearm from an approved list which includes all the usual suspects. However, a recent discussion with one deputy revealed that, ironically, the 1911 is no longer on that list. Seems the current brass believes the public would react negatively to seeing an officer carrying a cocked and locked 1911. I guess the public doesn't mind seeing a cocked and unlocked Glock?

Pete

I'm over 50, and I didn't cut my teeth on 1911's. I was a revolver man for a long time. Then I started using SA autos other than 1911. Then DA and DAO autos. Then the 1911. I resisted the allure of the 1911 for a long time- seeing the problems others had with them. Finally had to jump in and see for myself what it is about, and the pattern won me over. Difference between me and a lot of other users, is that I made it a point of learning how the thing works before changing anything.

Still like and have faith in revolvers, the Kahr K9, and High-Power. Still have faith in and respect for various other pistols including Glock - but I like to mostly stick with a couple of types that work best for me. (DA revolvers, SA pistols )

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.