Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If 1911's are so unreliable, why are they still the best selling pistol in America?
1-Got a source for that? 2-If so, it's because people are with A-Stupid or B-Have terrible taste.

Tradition only gets you so far, at some point someone is going to want their gun to work.
I don't think the majority of shooters really care if their pistol is reliable. I know lots of guys that would be perfectly content with a malfunction every 100 rounds.

I'm betting that most 1911's work quite well right out of the box and are sufficiently reliable for most shooters.
I'm sure they are too. Because "most shooters" buy a gun and stick in in their sock drawer. They're probably only shot 300 rounds a year, max, and probably never see a whole case of ammo.

If you're going to push a 1911 really hard, then you're going to need to do some work on that 1911.
What's "really hard"?

I don't know what my 1911's will do if I were to push 1,000 rounds per day through them, I just don't shoot that much anymore. But I know that I'll never shoot 1,000 rounds in combat, so it's really a moot point, and a training convenience.
You've said that before and it's stupid. "I only carry 16 rounds with me, so it only has to be reliable for 16 rounds...." That's retarded. If you were taking your family on a 2000 mile road trip would you drive a car that only breaks down every 3000 miles?

If I were going to war, I probably wouldn't take a 1911 with me. But for daily carry, it's more than sufficient.

I also happen to agree with Dan, 1911's are more reliable when the tolerances are looser. But people won't buy a rattling 1911 anymore, so the market has demanded those tolerances be tighter and it has had an effect on reliability.
So are they reliable or not?

You're an idiot

Last edited by GunGeek; 03/19/15. Reason: Typo - autocorrect is so helpful