Originally Posted by gmoats
Back to the original post:
Originally Posted by leomort
... are some of the trouble areas or weakness of the 1911's that I should be paying attention to?

Consensus seems to say that 1911's require more attention to maintenance

…..as you can see from the previous 14 pages or so…..there's no such thing as "consensus" in the gun community…..and if you've read this thread, you've heard diametrically opposed views from some very qualified, experienced people, some "me-too" comments from some thinking that they're qualified and experienced, and some dogmatic opinions from idiots.

Any bad-rep that 1911's have is somewhere between partially-to-largely due to guys like myself that during the early-mid 70's started participating in the newly developed sport which in 1976 became IPSC. In those days, you would buy a new Series 70 Mark IV and trash everything on the gun except the slide and frame; barrel, bushing, trigger, sights, most of the guts were discarded and the skeletal remains were sent to someone like Swenson or Pachmayr and "built" into a "combat" gun. It was expensive and a whole crop of shade-tree, garage-shop, gun-plumbers were germinated. Some were ok and many were not and ALOT of 1911's were ruined. Like Donna Versace, too much surgery often yields hideous results and a lot of DIY guns became inoperable scrap metal. The 1911 (as made by Colt prior to the Series 70) was a superb gun, but it was easy to ruin---and many were. Colt also went thru some tough times and quality suffered for a large part of the 80's---but today's guns are as good, reliability-wise as anything that they've ever made.

Probably the weakest part of a new 1911 pattern gun is the magazine---they can be comparatively delicate. The other issue is lubrication; my gut feeling is that stainless-on-stainless needs greater lubrication than blue-on-blue or steel on aluminum, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking if compare to similiar price point 1911's, he's probably right but once you move up to the $1,000 to $1,200 price range you would be getting a more reliable 1911...

….well hopefully, but there are some comparatively high-priced guns that I wouldn't own…..I can't speak to other brands, however if you stick to new Colts in Commander length or longer, you'll have as reliable a handgun as any 1911 ever made. Are they as "reliable" as a striker-fired, gun???? I dunno---everyone's experience is different; however, anyone getting too dogmatic about it (pro or con) is a wanna-be-moron…..and I say that dogmatically!!
smile

Greg,
Thanks, once again, for providing some badly needed context, dogmatically or not!

This thread is almost as good as the "circumcision" thread from a year or so ago.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.