Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR
Which mags do you reccomend?

I did own a stock STI Ranger that ran fine for about 80-90 rounds then needed cleaning. And a Kimber 1911-22 that didn't like to be dirty and only ran on high velocity ammo. But that one probably shouldn't count since it strays from the 1911 design.

Like I said, I want to like them and have shot a few, just haven't found one that I'd call as reliable as a Sig or M&P or Glock.

Tripp Cobra Mags

Tripp Research

Wilson 47D's are also very,very reliable in most guns.

There's just a lot of little things & interactions on a 1911 that need to be correct.....the extractor (several aspects), ejector, ejection port, breech face of the slide smooth, disconnector head free of burrs, top locking lugs on the barrel & the slide need to be burr free, fitted right & the edges broken, right spring, etc. & of course the magazines, the feed ramp & the relationship of the feed ramp to the barrel & the barrel's throat.

The chamber, bottom of the barrel hood & the feed ramp (on a steel framed gun) should be highly polished, IMO.

Lots of people have a real tendency to think that a super power recoil spring is the answer to all feeding / failure to return to battery issues with 1911's but that, many times, is not the answer & many times, makes it worse.

I use 16 or 17 lb variable rate springs with a square bottom firing pin stop for all but a steady, long term diet of +P 230 grain loads, as I believe in the lightest spring that the gun will reliably function with & not hammer the frame is best........the original GI spring spec is 16 lb & much of reliable feeding & ejection is about timing & slide speed is a part of that equation.

Also lots of feeding issues, which sometimes result in a failure to return to battery, can be related to the follower angle & the angle that the round is presented to the chamber.

That's part of the reason that magazines like the Tripp work so consistently is because of the deep follower that keeps each round's orientation straight & consistent.

MM

and forgive me but this is a prime example of the weaknesses in the 1911 platform. It's a complicated design that is rather delicate or you wouldn't hear of any of these issues, they would have been corrected and standardized in the 100 years it's been in production.

Just saying...