Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR

and forgive me but this is a prime example of the weaknesses in the 1911 platform. It's a complicated design that is rather delicate or you wouldn't hear of any of these issues, they would have been corrected and standardized in the 100 years it's been in production.

Actually the design is not complicated, but is rather simple & pure genius, especially for the time it was developed.........the rub comes in the execution & manufacturing the parts & a lot of changes & bastardization, most fairly subtle.

Here's an example; had a guy with a guy & he had bought a Wilson thumb safety to go onto his Taurus 1911.

But it wouldn't fit.

Turns out the frame was too thick on the inside to allow the safety to move up into the safe position so the frame had to be adjusted to make it fit.

That frame was not to the same spec as Colt, S&W, Caspian, etc., & Taurus safeties, obviously are not exactly the same as "standard".

I didn't have his original safety, but I expect it might fit a standard frame, but a standard safety would not fit the Taurus frame.

MM
I have run into that problem with Caspian frames from time to time, so it's not just Taurus that's making that cut to that spec. Anyhow, makes for a lot of filing on the safety to make it work, but if you know what you're doing it can be made to work just fine.