Originally Posted by TWR
Not everyone knows what to look for, myself included on a 1911. I can see burrs that don't belong but know nothing about the platform. That's why I enlisted the help of a good friend to set this one up and we are getting close. I got into this one cheap enough that it'll make a nice learning project.

Was the barrel in that gun throated from the factory or did someone throat it at some point in time?

I can't remember exactly when Colt started throating their barrels other than the Gold Cup barrels, but an early (er) non-throated barrel can be difficult to make work until it get a decent throat cut. Even then, lots of barrels have been ruined by people attempting to do what they didn't really know how to do.

The older, mid-'70 Commander that I have has a barrel that was not throated & once it was throated correctly & the (GI style) mag followers corrected & the lips modified, it's been an absolute 100% gun. I've since replaced the original followers on those mags with followers from Tripp Research (Cobra Mags).

Her is a pic of several magazines. All but the Kimber work just fine although I just do not use the S&W mags, simply because I don't want to waste time fooling with them to thoroughly wring them out to a high confidence level when I know Tripp & Wilson's work.

Sorry for the crummy pic, but I was in a hurry........you can see it well enough to see the various differences.

MM

Left to Right

1. SW, 2. SW, 3. GI Colt (mod lips, original follower), 4. GI Colt (mod lips, Tripp follower), 5. Kimber, 6. Wilson, 7. Wilson, 8. Christensen Arms, 9. Tripp Cobra Mag

[Linked Image]