Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Last, maybe I'm interpreting your post wrong, but did you just say "who gives a [bleep] about the poor slack piece of chit that got a ticket," and then follow that up with "I got the ticket twice??" YES, Second chance put me out there for many years drinking and driving. I did not deserve that chance to potentially ruin other people's lives. Drinking and driving is inexcusable and needs to be put to an end. I did not learn this in diversion BTW. I'm absolutely living on borrowed time. I drove blacked out hundreds of times after that second chance. None since the third though... Though it means nothing, I am not aware of causing any accidents, but how would I know... I was 0.23 five hours after drinking....

So because you can't control your impulses and choose to drive while plastered with a .23 BAC five hours after drinking you want to turn someone who has two beers with dinner and is sober by any realistic measure into a criminal with a ridiculous .05 BAC thus ruining his life?

That's a profound lack of judgement and reasoning. The two scenarios are completely different. In your case you were a threat and should have been locked up. The guy that had two beers with dinner isn't a threat at all but this ridiculous proposal would have him treated the same. Someone already mentioned the roughly $10,000 cost to defend a DUI, plus I know that in my line of work it would cost me my job, not to mention packing the jails with people that are no threat to society.

It's the mentality of one guy schits himself and everybody's got to wear diapers. Some thug robs a convenience store so we need to confiscate guns from everyone. Someone drives plastered and gets into a wreck so let's make it illegal for someone to drive after two beers even though they're not statistically any more dangerous than someone that has a 0.0 BAC. It makes the soccer moms feel better so why not? Group think at it's best.

It's threads like this that make me realize how we end up with someone like Obama as our president. Everyone wants the government in the other's guys business. It doesn't matter if he's actually doing anything harmful to society, he's doing something I don't like so I want you to use the power of government to screw with him.