Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
How do you propose diversion should work if you are unhappy with your son's experience?

That's not my area of expertise and it's not my job to fix what's wrong with the system. But I can spot a racket when I see one, and I see one. Are you a counselor or employed by the system? You seem to have a keen interest in defending the system.

If you think DUI laws are purely driven by financial interests of diversion councilors and not the seriousness of the offenders' action you are a fool.

I may be a fool, but at least I can read and remember what I read and I can tell the difference between the laws, the reason they're on the books, and the privately-run system that handles offenders. I already said the laws themselves were not driven by financial interests, remember:

Originally Posted by smokepole
The laws themselves may not be related to funds collection but if you do get a DUI then the privately-owned companies running the system basically have you by the balls.

Was his treatment unfairly extended? Do you have evidence of your future prediction that there will be no re-occurrance?

Yes, I do believe it was unfairly extended. And yes I do have evidence that he won't do it again and it's not a "future prediction," it was ten years ago. Beyond that, he's never been an alcoholic or even a heavy drinker so it's very easy for him to avoid getting into situations where he has to drive after drinking because he doesn't drink that often. Not every DUI offender is a raging alcoholic. After he was arrested his biggest regret was letting down his parents. He was mortified, especially since he was in school at the time so I had to pay for everything. He told me he'd pay back every penny and he did and that sooner than I expected, it was the first thing he spent money on when he got his first job out of school. Even now when we go out for a meal he grabs the check and says "you've been paying for me all my life, it's my turn now."

He truly regrets what he did and he's not going to repeat it. Not because he endangered anyone, and not because of "counseling" or victims panels. Because it was a stupid mistake he never should have made.

A wise man is frequently humbled.