Smoke. I write this in good faith. Glad to hear that he's not prone to repeat. I don't know the solution to eliminate the conflict you suggest either, though from what I saw the councilors were already absolutely swamped with customers and I believe had genuine interest in helping folks to not re-offend. Likely it varies in places and with individuals... No not my area of work nor education but I can not fathom how it'd operate otherwise as anyone involved is going to be paid and the offender will be paying... I can wholeheartedly say that the vast majority of individuals mandated to attend victims panels or group sessions that I attended had chit attitudes contending they didn't do nothin' and I shared that attitude in 1993... A statement of fact not an accusation. Folks from all walks of life.... Would anything have unfolded differently had I had more severe penalty that time? I don't know, as I was prone to overindulgence more so than many, but if I'd lost that driver's license for a year like a conviction, and I was guilty of the crime, it'd definitely gotten more attention from me. Years later, greater than ten so it was once more treated as a first offence, I got caught again in very different life circumstances, actually the lowest day of my life so understand I ain't bragging. Seems I got a little more out of the 'system' , or was more open to admit my role in the wrongdoing. I took it beyond the mandates and from there over the next few years I learned a great deal about not just the system but people and the overwhelming horrors resulting from DUI, substance abuse and the often chit selfish attitudes that contribute. Hundreds of stories and individuals. My 'defense of the system' is really more of an appreciation of the severity of the 'problem' of mixing driving on public roads with intoxication. It's intolerable once as it is 100 times. I have zero flexibility on this stance nor sympathy for individuals that get themselves into it - as it's absolutely 100% avoidable. I know folks are generally ok with a little BAC but dammit the consequences are too severe for others that it can, and really does effect. I don't know the perfect max BAC to establish... Certainly it's not something that can just be left to self-regulation, that is obvious. If anyone here has not met anyone fucqked up by DUI, that's swell, just know it is truly very prevalent and has caused extreme yet totally avoidable 'hardship'. For comic relief, to admit what a dumbass I WAS, I'll offer that both DUI events involved the same town, same bar and the same affinity for Black Velvet and Cokes. Cheers.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?