Boomer, thanks for your post and what you said makes sense. I know there are good counselors who really want to help, and I know there are a lot of people who need the help and benefit by it. Probably most who get a DUI, and I'm not saying my son shouldn't have had to go through the program. I guess the thing that grated on me (and him) was that he didn't get many if any of the good counselors. One of the people who he had to work with was a fat lazy woman who treated him like schit and didn't do anything to help. Another guy ran group sessions and would show up 15 minutes late every time and then just have the group sit around and talk about their issues and not add anything--no insight, advice, or actual counseling. And they kept their jobs because there was nothing the people paying the bill could do about it they were a captive audience you might say.

I know that doesn't mean all counselors are like that and I didn't mean to imply that they are. Sounds like you had a much better experience, and that's all good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.