Originally Posted by dvnv
Couple of points:

I don't think .08 impairs driving much.

If the penalties for impaired driving are going to be as tough as they are, seems fair that the limit ought not to be, "maybe impaired a little". I guess there could be different penalties for different BACs, might work better.

As a self proclaimed EXPERT on BAC and impairment, I'm gonna chime in here...I'm 66 now and I might drink 2-3 times a year...If I drink ONE beer now, I'll feel about as "buzzed" as I did when I was 30 after drinking a six pack....in all my years of driving "under the influence" not once did I get in an accident....never got so much as a "fix-it-ticket", much less a DUI....

IMHO, your level of "impairment" is going to be directly related to how often and how much you drink....same with heroin addicts...there's a schittload of junkies and prescription drug addicts who take enough of their drug of choice to kill any two sober people....until they get to the point where body organs start shutting down. I'm in no way advocating for drinking and driving, but "level of impairment" can't be measured by BAC.