I just looked at their website. 6 of the 10 members of the Board of Directors are also employed by major outdoor companies (Kimber, Yeti, Field & Stream, petersen's hunting, First Lite, etc). THis is not necessarily bad, but I wonder...for example, with the Bear's ears monument fight, I learned that the pro-monument side was powered by major outdoor companies such as as REI and Patagonia, and there is evidence that these companies may be mostly interested in supporting and expanding the high volume "industrial tourism" that supports their business, with no regard for other concerns. This can lead to hypocrisy and serious conflicts of interest (lots of good articles in the Canyon Country Zephyr about this, for example http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/...hompson-high-country-news-by-jim-stiles/).

I was also a member of BHA from the beginning but dropped out after a representative of the local chapter came down on what seems to me to be the wrong side of the 2nd amendment regarding assault rifles, and then Mr. Tawney proclaimed the acquittal of the Malhuer NWR defendants as a travesty, attack on our public lands, etc, while never even ackowledging that the reason for the acquittals was prosecutorial overreach and misconduct that were great examples of where our federal govenment has lost it's way. I worte Mr. Tawney about this but received no response.

On balance the BHA may actually be a worthwhile organization...I might sing up again but not sure yet. I e mailed them to ask for a financial statement and tax return.