Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tarkio
So you are telling me you think it is a good idea for the federal government to increase its land holdings, exert more control over those holdings and limit people more in their use of those holdings?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'd just like to see the land that's public now and roadless now (not necessarily designated wilderness) stay that way. Because as I said, that's where the best hunting and fishing is.

True story, one of my favorite places to hunt used to be non-motorized access only. It has a small stream that holds cutthroats. A few years ago you could walk in 3 miles on an easy trail and catch lots of 13-14 inch fish in a few scattered plunge pools. Then they opened it up to motorbikes. I went in last year and was lucky to catch a few small fish. I did get to pick up some cigarette butts and styrofoam worm cartons though.

Originally Posted by Tarkio
Wilderness areas are an anathema to most local communities they are in proximity to.

I'd like to see your data that backs up your assertion there. Because I don't believe it's necessarily true, especially in areas that draw a lot of non-resident hunters and fishermen. Hotels, stores, restaurants, outfitters and other rural businesses in this state depend on visitors to make their living, and the visitors want unspoiled vistas. Wilderness areas are a big draw.

When land is placed in a Wilderness Area or wsa, the local governments lose tax revenue, lose production which also impacts tax revenue, creates headaches such as harborer of weeds and pests including predators that often times cannot be hunted or controlled in these areas. All these things negatively affect local economies. Yes, hunters bring in some money, but in Montana, our hunting season is extraordinarily long compared to may states and it is still only 6-8 weeks long. Meanwhile, the local community has to survive the full 52 weeks out of the year.

Wilderness areas also take loggable areas out of production and limit managers' ability to control fuel which in turns creates large stockpiles of fuel just waiting for the conditions to be right and become an enormous wildfire that is impossible to control.

Asking for data is valid and fair. I do not have it at hand right now. What I do have is personal first-hand experience living in proximity to these areas, working in these areas, working on ranches and friends having ranches that abut these areas. Working in the extension service servicing regions that had tens of thousands of acres of wilderness and wilderness study areas. Those of us that live it know the reality.

Montana MOFO