Originally Posted by jimmyp
During the last decade or two we have seen the 45 gap, 357 sig, 5.7 x 28, 40SW, 10mm which have enjoyed limited popularity with some of them dying off (who has a 45gap these days?). Granted the 10mm still hangs on in the niche area of animal defense and hunting, the others have all either never gained significant popularity, or have lost significant popularity, everybody seems to go back to the 380, 38 special/357 mag, 9mm and 45ACP for CCW? Why do so many new handgun calibers fail to catch on?

I don't know how anybody could say the 40 S&W enjoyed "limited popularity". The .40 has been nothing less than wildly popular. The advent of better 9mm ammo may have trumped it a bit, but it will be a big seller for the foreseeable future due to the proliferation of fairly cheap guns and ammo for it.

The 10 was somewhat unsuccessful initially especially since the FBI adopted it and it still didn't go over big. Too much competition from the .40. It hung on and is still fairly popular. To a lesser extent, so has the 357. The 5-7 was almost moribund, but now Rooger has a platform...we'll see. The only one really dead is the GAP.

Personally, I never saw the need for any of these rounds. I've had a bunch of 10's and they just never stick. I resisted the 40 for a long time, but the ammo was so cheap and available that I got one. Then another. Then I got rid of both. Then I got another because I had ammo, brass, dies, bullets, etc. I use mine a lot, not because I'm in love with it, but because it's there. I don't like Glocks and I don't like Glocks in 40 the most. I've got a S&W M&P in .40 and it's just a gun. It's a good gun, but it isn't something precious like a JOHN MOSES BROWNING 45 AUTO COLT PISTOL.

Threads without pics are like War and Peace, but threads WITH pics are like a good Jonah Hex comic book...mo betta.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]