Originally Posted by jimmyp
Whitworth1, you are posting to discredit me, good for you, it says a lot about you. In the field of big game hunting with a handgun you have been there and done that. However what most military and police agencies are using have nothing to do with handgun hunting. Further my handgun hunting abilities have nothing to do with the effectiveness of 9mm, 40SW, and 45 ACP as used in self defense shootings. You cannot say I am making an assumption when most agencies are adopting the 9mm for their personnel who go into harms way and all self defense handgun rounds are more similar than they are different....As Bluedreax said he has not seen anything shot with a 124 grain gold dot that has lived.
We have our personal prejudices and we are entitled to our own opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts, the 9mm with good bullets is about the same in performance as the 45ACP in self defense shootings, not an assumption, if you say it is post up proof that the 45ACP with its best bullets is 20% better using all considerations than the 9mm.

I've shot deer and pigs with both the 9mm and the 45 ACP. They are not the same but with today's better ammo the 9mm is better than it's ever been.
Dr. Martin Fackler spend a great majority of his lifes work in wound ballistics and he said that the edge went to the larger caliber weapons.
Dr. Facer also said that it is impossible to quantify a percentage of better because of too many variables.

A 45 caliber bullet is more likely to break a bone than to simply shoot a hole through it as happened in the FBI Miami shootout in 1986

Advantage 45 in bullet diameter, advantage in 9mm with magazine capacity.

Deflave is correct in what he posted, Jommy not so much when he says they ste the same

Properly loaded 45 has an edge in my opinion but the magazine capacity of the 9 can not be ignored and I have traded in my 45 for a high capacity 9mm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first