It’s tough to do a direct comparison of cartridges by the reactions of people being shot. Some people are a lot tougher than others. A minor cut or wound will cause some to fall to the ground and go into shock. I’ve seen others hardly react.

One case I witnessed, a guy was shot between the eyes. He was the one who flagged me down and described what happened. I talked to another guy who had just been run through (in the abdomen and out his back) with a bayonet. He was walking and talking and calmly told me what happened. I saw a guy get shot in the chest with a 308 rifle and survived. My cousin got shot twice in the back of the head and survived. You could make a case that the weapons used were inadequate although most guys would have been stopped and would have died.

Is a 150 grain 308 inadequate...is a bullet between eyes and into the center of the brain not adequate... hell if I know. I do know that deer react more when shot with a 45 than with a 9. Or maybe the deer I shot with a 9 or a 38 were just tougher than the average deer

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein