Originally Posted by viking
I have always looked at cartridge selection as what cartridge is going to be the best fight stopper with the worst ammo under the worst conditions...

THIS.

I carry the same pistol for farm chores, hunting backup etc. So it's going to be a 40 or 45, because plastic guns have spoiled me thanks to their comparatively light weight, durable finishes and mag capacity that precludes the need for me to carry a reload- most days. I also like the fact that the bigger calibers kill well with garden variety flat cast or FMJ loads. Hell the only time I stoke the PPQ with HST 230 +P is when the wife & I have a day or evening out.

The FBI chose the 9mm for their own reasons and then wrote a summary justification for their choice. A lot of LE admins and police boards are lemmings. They're going lock step with the Bureau whether it makes sense or not.

What everyone else carries is of no concern to me. If it's a 9mm you're comfortable shooting, it's probably enough. It's basically a 38 special with decent bullets- and lots of them.

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/26/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ