Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by MOGC
I noticed several posters load a birdshot for the first round and then follow that up with buckshot. What is the point of that?

I do. Where I live you are more apt to need your shotgun for a critter than a kneeegar.

I follow the advice that was given to me by my long-dead best friend back in the early 80's. He was a retired Marine armorer who had worked as a cop and owned a gun store in a bad neighborhood. He said 12 GA was all you needed-- 5 shot pump or auto. He said your first shot will be coming out of sleep; you will be groggy. The perp will not be expecting it. Load low-brass #6 squirrel load in the chamber. Most times, this is enough. At close range, a round of low-brass #6 hits a perp at close range as a single mass, even from an open choke. If you're on target and hit the center of mass, it takes out heart or lung or whatever and does not exit. This may not be fatal, but it is the single most important thing that has happened to the perp all day, and it will be the only thing on his mind from then on. If you're lucky, that's all you need. The perp flees and does the favor of bleeding out somewhere else than your living room. If you miss, low-brass #6 will still penetrate an interior wall, but it won't wreck the place. Missing on the first shot is common. You're still groggy. However, the sound works on both you and the perp. Being in a room when a 12 GA goes off will clarify your mind as well as the perp's. The perp will now be doing everything he can to leave. You'll be sharp as a tack.

The next round should be #4 Buck. This is enough to kill, but now the perp is on the move as well. You should be withdrawing to an easily defensible room. The next 2 rounds should be #00 or #000 Buck. You're backing into your bathroom or back bedroom; the perp is now pursuing you. The vectors are now clear and linear. If this fool is stupid enough to pursue you, it's time to bring up the artillery. Your last round should be deer slug. This is for when you've locked yourself in the bathroom, and the door rattles. Aim through the door and finish the job.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer