Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by BC30cal

The after market followers which I use can be seen in low light easily and there's the advantage of being able to feel if the magazine is empty with this style as well.

[Linked Image from sjhardware.com]

They make a few different styles and 2 color choices.

Dwayne

I am going to look into one of those.

Thanks for showing that.

Howdy Dwayne (& Tiny),

Forgive my lack of diplomacy Dwayne (Tiny will have full mag, so different), why the need ?

Boom, boom, boom = EMPTY !

wink

Paul;
Good afternoon to you good sir, I hope you and your fine family are well on this nice day.

The follower in question actually comes from your neck of the woods or closer to you than me Paul

https://www.sjhardware.com/product-category/sj-hardware-products/

Why is a fine question and I'll attempt to answer.

As a mechanic you likely know that Delrin has a built in lubricity, so if we have two objects which are similar materials - say steel on steel like the stock magazine tube and follower, they're going to be much more prone to friction than dissimilar materials, especially resins with built in lubricity.

Then there's the clean out slots one can see in the S&J follower - which not all Delrin followers have might I add and I happen to think it's a must.

When I mentioned dealing with a magazine malfunction at the beginnings of a social discussion with a local black bear, the cause was years and years of duck hunting, camping trips and general use that built up over time.

Now to be sure Paul I had cleaned the mag tube, but I hadn't disassembled it and when I did that - the Mossberg/Lakefield Mossberg ones use a chemical thread locker of some sort so a judicious amount of heat is required to get the Loc-Tite stuff to release - again you know that stuff - but it's there to deal with.

Anyway when I pulled it apart I could see that the situation would arise again and again because of the design and tolerances that need to be there. A slotted side Delrin follower solved that problem in spades.

Also and this is a pretty big also - the S&J follower has that big ridge and hole in the center, so one can feel it in total darkness.

It does not feel anything like either a shot shell or the stock follower - which feels too much like a shot shell in my opinion.

Hopefully all that made some sense and was useful.

All the best to you all Paul and stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"