Originally Posted by Beaver10
I fell down the rabbit hole watching YouTube videos where armed homeowners were shooting up their home interiors trying to hit intruders.

From what I saw, it was evident that a handgun wasn’t getting the job done, unless scaring the living shît out of the burglar was the only intention.

Getting off anything more than a snap shot before the burglar disappears behind a wall, or through a doorway, or down a hall juking and sliding trying to get out of the house was the norm from what I watched.

Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection.

Caveat. Some may consider scaring the bad guys away with missed shots is a win. YMMV.

Those missed shots go somewhere. They may not hit the target, but they are still dangerous for other people.

I'm getting the impression that a shotgun is recommended because you can't miss with one. That's not true. Those big 40" wide patterns you see in pictures are shot at 40 yards. The longest shot possible inside my home is 21 feet or 7 yards. At that distance, the shot pattern is only as big as a fist. You still have to aim. The advantage of a shotgun is that it's easier to aim than a handgun and hits are more effective.