Originally Posted by super T
Because I'm not as competent with a handgun as I'd like to be, my go-to home defense weapon is a Benelli M4 with #4 buck. A couple of comments I think are called for at this point. First, I've heard it said that an advantage of the shotgun for home defense is you don't have to aim. That is complete BS. Only a very inexperienced shooter would say something that wrong. Second is the notion that when the intruder hears you rack the slide on the old 870 he flees in fear. Maybe not. In that case, giving away your position and that you are armed is complete nonsense that could be fatal. Third, after I've identified my "target" as an immediate threat and absolutely not something else, there will be no warnings. I will shoot to stop the threat and will continue shooting until there is no longer a threat.

Great advice super T. As a civilian, if you believe your life is in grave danger, there is only one correct response; to stop the threat. Advice about warning shots and shooting to injure (like "taking their legs out") is really bad advice.

If you are unlucky enough to have to use deadly force to defend yourself, even the best outcome (stopping the threat and staying out of jail) will certainly turn your life upside down and have severe costs if you have to defend yourself in the courts.

*Edited to add: In many states or localities, civilians have the obligation to retreat before using deadly force. That is not so everywhere, and some "retreat" states, like Michigan, have since passed castle doctrine laws that give standing to the concept that your home is your castle and so you do need to retreat while defending your home. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice; your laws, beliefs, and situation will surely differ.

Last edited by Copenhagen; 04/25/20.

Cope