I have learned on this thread that lots of folks are prescient and can anticipate the time and nature of the attack and will have plenty of time to get that scatter gun. I have heard more discussion of shot weight and type than of moving w/ a light and target ID in an environment that may contain other people. I have enjoyed the legendary deterrent effect of racking that 870 as oft repeated by the cop/marine/gunshop guy. Some folks are lucky enough to live where they don't have to worry about the boogeymen.

What seems mostly absent is discussion of training events attended, practicing moving through your home w/ a long gun or handgun or planning w/ your family on how to act in a life threatening emergency. I doubt if many practice these situations on a regular basis or dryfire weekly w/ their weapon of choice. Skeet shooting is good practice...for shooting birds. I'm sure that everyone has a plan if there is a housefire and practice it w/ their family. No one has yet said how they will accomplish a 20 yard headshot w/ their shotgun if needed or said that they carry a long gun at all times.

Hope, theory and internet discussions are so much easier than learning, planning and training.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC