I’m getting ready for a spot-and-stalk bear hunt in August 2021. I’ve been told to expect shots out to 400 yards.

I’ll likely use a 30-06 with 180-grain bullets because that's what I have. I have no trouble getting hits quickly out to 300 by holding over, but I haven’t shot beyond that in quite some time. The plan is to load up a ton of ammo and spend a lot of time on the range locking down zeros, working out dope, and generally getting ready between now and then.

I’ve got a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 with the Ballistic Firedot reticle. I’ve been able to hit 6” steel out to 425 with this scope/reticle on a different 30-06, but that was from a bench I had plenty of time to figure out holds/drops. I would not dial with this scope, but use the reticle to hold over.

I'm also considering whether to switch to something like a SWFA 3-9x43 and dial. I did some dialing out to around 800m with a Leupold Ultra M3A 10×42mm on M-24 prototypes in the military but that was long ago and I’m badly out of date on current practices.

Should I try to hold over for this hunt or should I dial?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.