Originally Posted by mrmarklin
If over 400 yards I won't take the shot.

Normally I’d agree, but the guide has told me that shots could be 400 yards or a bit beyond, so I’m preparing for that.

In the heat of hunting, with an adrenalin rush, there is no time to think about much except finding the animal in your scope.

I occasionally have this problem when the range is 30-40 yards and I have 2-3 seconds to shoot, which is common when still-hunting blacktails. At 100-150 yards I may have 5-6 seconds but I use that time for mechanics: getting into a sling, building a solid position, etc. I spend a LOT of the pre-season getting to where I can do that stuff without thinking so I’m free to focus on the shot itself. When the crosshairs settle on the animal, I want my mind to be empty except for the crosshairs and the feeling of the trigger under my finger.

But a ballistic reticle would seem better to me than dialing for over 400 yards if you understand your markings.

I’ve gotten hits a bit beyond 400 by holding over and hits out to 800 by dialing, although my dialing experience is close to three decades old. I’m looking for the line where it makes sense to start dialing. Based on the responses to this thread, it looks like that's at MPBR, or about 300 yards for a 30-06/180, which is what I'm using for this hunt.

Even for a 400 yard shot there is most times no need for holdover if the animal is elevated above or below you, a situation that happens quite often. In this situation, if you aim at the top of the back, you will shoot over the animal.

I’ve hunted this area extensively. I fully expect a significant difference in elevation between me and my target. Shooting over—or any other lack of precision that could result in a wounded or lost animal—is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

Looks like I'll be dialing.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.