Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by okie john
I think I can see where this is headed.

Looks like I'll be sending more money to SWFA....

Okie John

Pic the optic you like but the NF, SWFA, and similar are sure bets. To me and this is just me but finding the specific mark on a MQ reticle isn’t much, if any faster than just dialing and getting on point. I know that I’m probably the anomaly but it’s the way my brain works.

It certainly doesn’t suck to have the bullet hit on point to where you’re aiming either if you trip the shot decently.

Their 1x6 SS HD ain’t a bad option either if it fits your rifle and shooting style. Being illuminated kinda makes them pretty awesome on a hunting gun and the reticle offers good precision for even longer shooting.

I'd rather dial if the shot is past MPBR. On a big SWFA dial, I scribed the elevation turret on one of my rifles:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Shot at those ranges and knew it was dead on. To me, that is far faster and easier to just turn the dial, then to mess around with a ballistic reticle. If you are practicing like you should in the down time, then you should be shooting targets from near to far and turning that dial in practice. After a while it is like second nature. Just be damned sure you have a reliable tracking scope. I think the op is wise to look at SWFA or a NF, because they track very reliably. I ended up selling that rifle and scope package to a co worker of mine and he uses it. He's pretty new to shooting, but he's getting pretty damn good at ranging stuff and turning the dial and ringing steel with it. He laughs and says "this isn't hard at all"... He was shooting with my boss and my bosses father in law, who spares no expense in rifles, and they shot some steel plate at 850 yards. He hit the plates 3 for 3 shots with the old girl I sold him, put the rifle away and said he was done. My boss and his father in law were shooting and shooting, trying to get on target. My boss using a $2,000.00 VX6 with CDS on his 300wm, took about 10 shots to get on target, finding his CDS was not working as it should.. Who would have thunk that? His FIL using a $7,000.00 rifle from a company that uses Huskema scopes and fine tuned hand loads just for that rifle. Never did hit the target... Later finding out he had rotated the dial 1 revolution too much.. Dialing can be a chidt show like huntnshoot outlined in an ealier post, but shouldn't be, if one practices with his chidt and becomes proficient...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA