Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've found ballistic reticles to be a good tool for shots beyond PBR. If you get the data right, the charts are so close as to make shots to well past 400 a snap. I've only ever been about 1/4 MOA off on shots on animals using a ballistic reticle.

Dialing isn't my thing. I tried it, and for hunting, I don't like it. For one thing, taking my eyes off the animals to dick with my scope dope isn't good.

You have to take your eyes off the animal when you pull your LRF up to your eye, or when you glass the critter with a bino or spotter, anyway. I would wager that finding the animal in the RF bino and then ranging it at the same time, dialing the DOPE into the ele. turret, and getting on the scope holding center crosshair is faster than finding, ranging, and then trying to decide which part of the reticle to hold on the POA. I've seen it many times in the hunting fields and in competition. Holding center crosshair avoids the visual confusion of trying to decide which hashmark to use. Add wind into the equation, and things only get worse for the guy using holdover.

But if your system works for you, carry on!

I see what you are saying, and I said before that I can see where it could be ideal, such as in a situation like you described.

How hard is it to look at the crosshair and put it where the bullet it supposed to go? Just as easy as it is to put some other part of the reticle where it is supposed to go. How is that confusing? Maybe you should try using a ballistic reticle. They are all I use on rifles designed to shoot past a couple hundred yards. I save the dialing for non-hunting shooting.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.