Originally Posted by efw
I was raised in a very legalistic fundamentalist church where they had all sorts of rules that didn’t come from the Bible BUT I also had a group of deeply gracious, loving, and hospitable group around me who represented Christianity well. A particular individual who was legalistic, pompous, and off-putting was a pastor; another who was particularly gracious and kind was also a minister.

That is, for me people are people no matter where I go. For me and my household the observances and rites of collective worship... and that includes putting up with the @$$holes (I know you’ll all be dumbfounded, but at times that includes me) are part and parcel to being in the “called out community” (ecclesia in Greek translated church in NT) and all are used by God to form us into the image His Son.

I’ve got men around me who correct me and adults who take my kids aside and reinforce the teachings of the community so I’m not alone in parenting. Women come around my wife and help her when she has difficulties. The men with whom I have deer camp are mostly brothers from my congregation; some are from other congregations and a couple aren’t from any.

Church is the place that God has ordained that we as believers sharpen one another. That means putting up with crap. I put up with others’ and they mine.

Just like in the rest of life I get returns commensurate with the investment. As long as I keep in perspective that my $h!t stinks just as much as everyone else’s I’m ok.

Just my take.

This is absolutely spot on!!!!!