Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
John, thanks for the info re: the current Burris stuff.

I used to wonder why Burris had the turrets so far forward on their early scopes until I saw a cutaway showing the brass erector tube. Leverage is a wonderful thing! wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Al, yep the brass erector-tube Burris scopes were interesting, to say the least! Among other things, they also proved problematic to mount, because of the placement of the adjustment turrets.

They eventually got away from that, and as I mentioned around the early 2000s started were pretty darn good scopes. One of the interesting changes was lighter erector tubes, and often using heavy coil-springs to move the tubes--instead of flat springs, as many companies did (and some still do).

One of the toughest Burris scopes I've owned was the 1.5-5x model (as I recall the "Safari") that's now discontinued, apparently because not many hunters want low-magnification scopes anymore. Mine got abused considerably on several rifles, including my CZ .416 Rigby, especially when I did an extensive handloading project involving pushing the old round to .416 Weatherby pressures and velocities--around 2650 fps with 400-grain bullets. The scope just kept working very well.

Unfortunately, one of the other realities of writing about scopes is that many companies prefer that you not mention scopes they don't make anymore--even though the company name is still involved. So when they discontinued the 1.5-5x I eventually moved it along, partly because there were other new scopes I needed to attempt to break on the .416.

Best,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck