Originally Posted by Bugger
I was at the range the other day. I had a VX-3 3x9 on a rifle and I had a 12x binoculars that I’m fond of. The VX-3 showed bullets holes in the target clearly, with the binoculars I had to carefully adjust them to see the 22 caliber holes.
I’ve had good results mostly with returning Leupolds for repair. I also had one that I’m pretty sure needs repair and they said it was fine.
Repairing scopes for free is one thing, but having a scope fail while out hunting is quite upsetting. I don’t recall a Leupold fail while hinting. But I shoot many more times at targets and practice off-hand than I do hunting. I’m getting long in the tooth and my worry that a scope might fail concerns me especially since I don’t know if this will be my last hunt.
So I’ve been buying up scopes that have a reputation for being tough.
I have had scopes fail while hunting - I don’t recall the manufacturer - and I’ve had scopes fail at the range.
If I’m hunting more than a few miles from home I’ll take two rifles. My hinting buddies know that if they have problems with their rifles/scopes etc that I have spare.
I also have a quick release rings bases on a couple rifles with a spare scope.

?