Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Al, yep the brass erector-tube Burris scopes were interesting, to say the least! Among other things, they also proved problematic to mount, because of the placement of the adjustment turrets.

They eventually got away from that, and as I mentioned around the early 2000s started were pretty darn good scopes. One of the interesting changes was lighter erector tubes, and often using heavy coil-springs to move the tubes--instead of flat springs, as many companies did (and some still do).

Best, John

John, I'd bet the weight of the brass erector tube is likely why the turrets were positioned so far forward? The Signature 8-32 I mentioned had the adjustable Light Collector on the objective. On bright sunny days shooting over snow, it made a big difference. It also had the Posi Lock system for locking the erector tube into place to prevent POI changes. That system worked too...you had to learn to 'lead' it a bit as it loaded the erector tube when tightened. Once set, it never moved.

After a few seasons, I replaced the 8-32 Burris with a Leupold 6.5-20X50 VX III and it too gave excellent service.

When Burris revamped their 6 power A.O. HBR scope for Hunter Benchrest competition and tagged it the HBRII, it used the Posi Lock standoff on the tube but instead of the locking mechanism, it had a coil spring in it to keep the erector tube loaded, along with two flat leaf springs. The adjustments were 1/5" (.020) rather than the earlier versions 1/8" adjustments. Tracking was spot on but both of the two I had suffered from parallax issues that could never be resolved despite multiple trips back to Burris for tune ups. Since I had an 'extra' wink , I disassembled it and could see why the parallax issue was there and why it couldn't be fixed unless they redid the reticle cell design. They never did and folded the line up shortly after.

I reassembled the one I'd taken apart and it's been on a very accurate Remington 541T .22 for many years now.

Thanks again..stay warm. -Al

Forbidden Zoner