I have been doing some serious thinking about LR shooting and its implications for the last few days and I have come to the conclusion that for ME(that is me, personally, not telling someone else what they can do legally) that it is well beyond my definition of fair chase. And the pricipal reason I came to that conclusion is that the animal has no real chance of using his natural defenses or knowledge of the terrrain to avoid several people sitting in a position where they can command a view of several square miles of countyside. I have a 500m silhouette range on my ranch and will install a 1000m range in another area next year when a pasture lease I let someone have expires, so I am not unfamiliar with longer ranges. And, I am fully aware that it takes skill and dedication to accomplish the feat of killing an animal at extended ranges, but that does not make it ethical hunting TO ME. Just because it takes money and skill to do it, does not make it fair chase. If money and skill were the determining factors then why not use a jet and rockets? Takes money and skill to use them, too. I will be the first to say that this is a close call and I am not, in any way denigrating or dictating another's choices, but I can say, as Boggy expressed so well, that no one is going to use a spotter and a computer to shoot deer on my place.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq