I came on this quite by chance over breakfast this morning. I, like many people who like to read and grew up pre-computer(luckily, even though I love my cyberspace)used to and still do oversubscribe to publications on topics that interest me. At one time I was receiving over 40 magazines a month and, having other minor things to do, like make enough money to keep eating and shooting, I got behind on my reading. So am slowly catching up, by reading and discarding the old ones while saving any articles that I find particularly interesting.
<br>
<br>This is from Field and Stream, Jan 1998, written by David Petzal, the executive editor at that time and is just a part of the article titled, "Rifle Resolutions".
<br>
<br>Quoted text begins:
<br>
<br>In 1998, I will stop letting the rifle overload my other skills. Too many hunters lean very hard on the gun to get their game. A hunter must first and foremost be a woodsman and a naturalist. Being a hunter means acquiring knowledge of the animal and its habitat, and cultivating presistence and stoicism. A really skillful shot who is not all of these things will get game--possibly a lot of game, because modern rifles are so efficient--but he will not truly be a hunter.
<br>
<br>End quoted text.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq