As several posters have mentioned on this thread and on others we hunters are not the ones who will be allowed to determine what we will be permited to do. The general population will determine that. At present the general population is neutral on hunting for the most part but that can change quickly.
<br>
<br>To the general population perception is reality. You who engage in ultra long range shooting see that a goodly number of your fellow hunters just on this board have reservations concerning your method of hunting being ethical. No matter how well you explain your postion and how articulate you are the reservations are still there. No matter how you reguard us or we you I believe our respective postions are honestly come by.
<br>
<br>What will be the opinion of the casual hunter who either can not afford the quite considerable financial outlay that your method requires. The one who does not wish to invest the time and discipline necessary to master ultra long range big game shooting. They vastly out number the dedicated. No matter how many disciples you attract you will always be outnumbered as I see it. If he perceives you as elitest snobs taking animals in a manner he can have no hope of taking I believe he too, rightly or wrongly, will turn against you as being "unfair".
<br>
<br>If the general population begins to believe that shooting animals from specialized firearms at great distances making use of the latest technological gizmo is somehow unfair then it will be legislated out of existence. It is my belief that it will be a very short time span before the use of the 50bmg round will be outlawed for hunting.
<br>
<br>It can happen. Indeed it will happen. Witness California and the ban on cougar hunting. Many states outlaw the use of dogs and bait for bear. Some states outlaw the use of bait for any game animal. I have had the pleasure of handling and fireing a fine 8bore shot gun. It was beautiful and not at all the ponderous thing you would imagine. They are outlawed for hunting because they were perceived to be unfair. In wildfouling the use of live decoys and baiting were outlawed because they were perceived to be un-ethical. Just the same the ultra long range hunting will be outlawed if it is perceived by the general population to be un-ethical. Whether or no you think we should cater to the opinions of non hunters in reality we must because it is by their sufferance we are allowed to hunt. That most especially applies to publicly owned ground.
<br>
<br>I suppose we are faced with the age old question of just because a thing can be done should it be done. That question must be answered by each individual for himself. Then again, perception is reality for most.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati