If it flies
<br>
<br>I accept "your" analogy of ethics and fair chase as what you "yourself" have put into mind set.
<br>My feelings are certainly not the same so, I guess we will have to "agree to disagree."
<br>
<br>In other words, YOUR ethics seems to be a 75 or 100 yard shot as you mentioned where you would have your friend go with LR equipment, as per your post. That's fine ON YOUR PROPERTY, no doubt about it. If that's the way you prefer to hunt that's fine too.
<br>
<br>Quite possibly you or someone else here, may perfer hunting with a 30/30 lever action rifle like our Grandfathers did? Would this be more ethical to you for everyone to do, also?
<br>
<br>The factory equipment of today is MUCH more powerful and designed to kill at "longer ranges" and exert more energy. Is this ethical for you to use them at 200 or 300 yards Max instead of 75 or 100 yards? Am I seeing here that you guys are putting a yardage limit on ethics?
<br>
<br>Now apply fair chase to the new more powerful rifle or the 30/30. Should the various game commissions ban scoped rifles, magnum factory cartridges, bi-pods and also put a yardage limit on your shots? Would that make you or anyone using ethics and Fair chase as your main point, happier? You know thats rediculous to ever think that would happen.
<br>
<br>Should we go back to the 45/70 or the 50/70 that the buffalo hunters used to kill Buffs at yardages to 750 yards and beyond?
<br>Heaven forbid, THAT WAS "LONGRANGE HUNTING" and killing OVER 100 years ago wasn't IT?
<br>We could go back to it but, what about your ethics to that caliber and yardage it was used at?? Is/was it OK to do that back then?
<br>Probably the Indians used ethics and fair chase against the Buffalo hunters too, don't you think? I can't blame them either but I'm making the point as to the yardage they shot out to, back then. To me, it was NOT ethical to kill that many food giving animals and let the meat rot. THAT truely was unethical. Not the distance they killed it at but, the wasting of the meat
<br>
<br>It sounds to me that most of you denouncing LR hunting and using ethics or Fair chase as your platform, are trying to set limits that only you can accomplish with your own rifles? Does ethics and fair chase really have a yardage attached to it with modern day equipment? Better then that, should it.
<br>
<br>What we can do at 1000 yards many shortrange hunters can't at 100 yards. Who is unethical here???
<br>
<br>Is a compound or cross bow, ethical compared to the straight long bow?
<br>Is a 200 yard shot ethical but a 300 yarder not?
<br>Is your idea of fair chase to ALWAYS be within shorter ranges and to be on foot and stalk your prey. Don't ever use a horse or ATV because that may not be within someone's pleasure and they may complain about fair chase and ethics.
<br>
<br>I respect anyones thoughts on any type of hunting and who am I to disagree how far or close they choose to kill their game or, what caliber they use to do it?
<br>
<br>Our main objective is to kill the game and we as LR hunters and you short range hunters will agree with that, I'm sure.
<br>
<br>There's room for all of us and I don't see a problem forth coming from any game commission concerning the style of hunting one enjoys.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>
<br>