Originally Posted by isaac
Tom...based upon your experience at the ranch, would you say that this is the type of hunt where regardless of whether you're hunting the first night and a decent pig came in after 15 minutes, you take it rather than waiting to size up another bunch?

Assuming it was a 1 pig hunt, that is.

Many times, they'll say you can shoot 3 but you don't see but a couple doing your hunt.

Just curious in regards the quantity question, I guess.

Bob I would not hesitate to shoot the first, or one out of the first group you see. These pigs are spooky as hell, and you may only see one group in a given evening.

However....my first night on stand two big ones came in, I lit them up too early and spooked them. Ten minutes later a sounder came in, I had them lit up and dead to rights, but invented another way to spook them with noise....ten minutes after that a lone boar came in.....by then I'd used up all my bad luck, and he got the 223ai express grin

The following morning a sounder came in just at shooting light....all about the same size so I picked one out that didn't have others standing behind it, and shot it.
Pig #1 was 125, pig # 2 was 85

Second evening on stand a tired ass looking three legged pig came in at last light and I let him slide. A sounder came in shortly after, and again I lit them up too early!

Once they come in, let them eat for about 5+ minutes!

Soooooo, I don't know if that helps or not, you can be as selective, or not, as you choose...

As for driving through the gate, its a locked up deal and the reason he wants us there at 2:00 is so he can let us in and doesn't have to keep running back and forth to get us. He wont have guides or help till the next day so try to be on time and make it easy for him grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe