Originally Posted by northwestalaska

It�s all about balance guys, balance. Room for all of us, even the left wing tree huggers and the right wingers too, maybe even a wolf or bear or two!

Walt

Walt,

Nice story. I wished I could have been there and witnessed that scene too. I've been there twice in my 48 year tenure in Alaska...it never gets old.

I can appreciate your sentiment (quoted above) but felt the need to respond. It is about balance. All about balance. Maintaining a viable population of both predator and prey species. Problem is that in a few places, this balance is not being achieved. I am glad for you that you live in a place that has a plethora of prey species to go around. It hasn't always been thus...and isn't likely to be that way forever. More's the pity.

Political pressure in the form of lawsuits has always been a headache for those government agencies that have been desirous of maintaining a balance; they spend their budgets combating the costly lawsuits proffered by the anti-hunting crowd; the monies that should be available to make a difference as relates "balance" becomes unavailable.

As has been stated by others on this thread, there has been an infiltration of some anti hunters into government levels. The good news is that there are still many government employees that are hunters and trappers; they hold a love for the country and have true conservation at their heart's core.They also believe in "balance."

You say that there's room for all of us...that maybe we should all just get along? Many of these anti hunting groups are called by different monikers: "Tree huggers, anti's, Green Peace'rs, bunnies, etc." Most people when applying a name, use one of the above (or any number of others) to describe the ANTI HUNTER political action arm. These people want to stop you from ever hunting caribou or anything ever again. I guess I appreciate your opinion on making room for all, but I will not ever stop doing my damndest to try and make NO ROOM available for these type of people. It is a battle that will never be won, but still needs to be fought...

You are correct that the wolf has got a bad rap in historical cultures and old wive's tales. No one really wants to see the end of the wolf...and I am the least of these. They can be managed just like any other beast that goes on four legs. The methods are just a little different. Twer the wolf to become void and extinct in Alaska, I would leave. Can't happen/won't happen. They could sure be harmed by those that wish for mother nature to be the only predator/prey "manager" legally able to take care of the resource: they are the anti hunting group.

Common sense and good biology should rule the day. Yeh, like that's gonna happen...

Still think there's room for all?

best,
bhtr

Let�s keep in mind that the wolves, bears and all of the other beast of the scary forest and tundra were here long before any of us

ps. I also submit to you that NONE of the animals running around up at Kotz are older than I or have been here longer than I...eh?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters