I have only hunted wolves incidentally, but know plenty of fellows who do it more seriously. I will say that wolf hunting (and trapping) is not a gimmee by any means. I can also say with some certainty that hunting the Northwest Arctic caribou herd can, at times, be almost as difficult as shooting cattle. I think it would be fair to say that shooting wolves from an airplane equates to hunting more readily than does a caribou hunt that equivocates to shooting domestic livestock.

I do not think that we should, by any means, seek to eliminate wolves in places which are indeed wild. Alaska is not the only such place either. However, they are not "pure and innocent" creatures any more than other wildlife. They have a job and they do it well. As with anything so well adapted, sometimes they do the job too well - at least if you happen to be an ungulate. If it takes an airplane to make the equation somewhat more similar to hunting NWA caribou, (when the need to reduce or control the population is necessary), then by all means do it IMO.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.