Originally Posted by northern_dave
the display i talk about was a full body mount woof, big-un too, can't be too many of those along that stretch up there. it was inside a big glass cube type of display case, prolly to keep me from pee-ing on it.

That was probably at Tofte or Grand Marais. The Tofte station is too small for a case like that, as I recall, but the GM station is bigger I think. Either of those qualify as North Shore places.

Brent, I don't think there are many wolf exterminators here, unless you count those who would like to see "their" wolves removed from what is established agricultural territory. In those instances, having wolf packs, and especially re-introduced packs, makes about as much sense as having wild dog packs which are protected.

If you like the "science" approach, consider what things were like in Alaska before fish and game (including wolves) were managed. Of course there were no motorized vehicles which could handle snow so people traveled by dog teams or walked. Even so, it was not uncommon for a person to see no moose tracks all winter some years in habitat which no supports many moose. Wolves are indeed a natural part of things. The big question becomes whether we are willing to put up with that. Would Americans continue to hunt if a generation or two of people had little opportunity to hunt deer, moose, etc, simply because the natural cycle was on the down side? That would sure please some folks. No, I would not want to see wolves exterminated. However, I sure do appreciate the people who use a scientific approach when controlling them as and when necessary. I like to see them, I like to hear them, but I also feel no more or less remorse about killing them than prey animals. Like the ungulates, they really are quite useful.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.